Blog #87; Some thoughts about composing a fictional story; Aristotle's Poetics

 Hello, all!


Sending good greetings to my readers and hoping this fine May day finds you well.  I have been praying a lot more often, and trying to watch the news a lot less, to maintain a positive mental balance.  I don't know what you have experienced around prayer, I have experienced its power time and again in my life, a healing power that brings me closer to the Being I call my Heavenly Father. So I know it works, even if I see the daily news and all the evil and horror of our modern world.  In the future, I may be taking on this topic in writing to be published, but for now I will just say that ethical, moral and theocratic issues have been on my mind.

Also, I figured I originally started my blogs as a way to communicate about the process of creative writing.  I have attended conferences and workshops all over the country on this subject, and was a community college creative writing instructor for over seven years during my time in central Florida.  While in Florida, I became an award-winning fiction writer. I think a great place for any young/beginning writer to start would be with Aristotle's Poetics, which is a short and concise treatment of that philosopher's ideas about storytelling.   He focused on creating drama, but I think any creator of story would benefit from reading this work.  I suggest, if you like, to get a copy of Aristotle's Poetics and follow along with me in the coming weeks, as I try to give you a mini-master class on the subject.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #61; A New Post in the Association of Mormon Letters written by Chris McClelland; "A Call for moral adult LDS fiction"

Blog #93; the Award-Winning Short Story in the Most Recent VA Creative Writing Contest