Blog #19; What it means to be human reflected through historical fiction

 Many famous writers, most notably William Faulkner, have stated that the primary function of literature is to explore what it means to be human, and fiction explores what makes us human beings uniquely human.  Suffering seems to be one trait of being human.  To be human is to feel pain.  Also, another trait is joy.  Triumph over nature, or over one's own nature.  To drink deeply from the wellspring of life!  Sadness, violence.  Tenderness.  Compassion.  All encompass the human experience.


I write primarily historical fiction, and short stories usually set in contemporary times.  I like to think that people in other times and places were basically a lot like me.  A little anxious of change.  A little bold when called upon to be.  Mostly, "enduring to the end" as we like to say in my Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.   As I get older, and my body begins its (I hope) slow decline, enduring to the end becomes more important to me.  Taking care of myself becomes a priority.  Diet becomes a big factor.   

I would like to write at least three or four excellent historical novels before my time is up.  Maybe more.  I no longer see it though, as a race against the clock.  I trust that my afterlife will be taken care of, and I will rise to the occasion.  I used to think the only way to live on was through what I wrote.  It's a nice thought, but I don't think that way anymore.  I have a boatload of ambition, but it's not going to kill me if others don't acknowledge what I accomplish during my lifetime.

Comments

  1. We live on after death in many ways, perhaps in the words we leave behind but mainly in the memories of those we've loved. We must, as you do, enjoy writing fiction since creativity is enjoyable and it leads us to God by exploring the soul, which lives on. Thanks for this reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time out to reply, Jerry. I suppose, as one gets older and matures more, family and loved ones gain in importance as the prospect of lasting writerly reputation grows ever fainter with each passing year. I am just glad that Create Space exists, and allows me to produce and market my books by bypassing the big houses.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #61; A New Post in the Association of Mormon Letters written by Chris McClelland; "A Call for moral adult LDS fiction"

Blog #93; the Award-Winning Short Story in the Most Recent VA Creative Writing Contest