Blog #24; the nature of truth in fiction; exploring consequences of characters’ actions; keeping motivation as a writer

 

Truth in fiction sounds like an oxymoron, but is very real.   The true aim of serious fiction is to find meaning by relating greater truths of human existence in “a made up” story.  I was thinking about this when considering a story I’ve been working on about the disparity between ideals and reality, and how people and institutions are often self-contradictory.   There are many ways to write a true work of fiction, and these are the stories I get excited about.   Whether historical or contemporary, these works are challenges, especially for the advanced writer, because as you grow, you see more deeply the implications of what you are writing and its consequences.

Characters’ motivated actions propel the narrative, and often it is hard to see where the consequences of those actions will fall.  Writing fiction is a process of exploration, an exploration of characters’ actions, and the consequences.   We can continue to explore as we write never fully knowing anything but a small profile of the ending.

Lately I’ve been trying to minimize the distractions, video games, etc., that keep me away from spending more time at the desk, writing fresh material.  Whether it’s this blog, or my short stories, or the novel in progress, A CONTRITE SPIRIT, all of these things need time and most need time every day.  Time and effort.  I am also immersing myself in several European languages concurrently, but mostly Italian and French.  I am doing this as an adjunct to my writing in English, to expand my vocabulary and my understanding of the nature of languages.  I have found a helpful resource for this which is free and if you are interested, contact me here at the blog and I’ll send a link.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #61; A New Post in the Association of Mormon Letters written by Chris McClelland; "A Call for moral adult LDS fiction"

Blog #93; the Award-Winning Short Story in the Most Recent VA Creative Writing Contest