Blog #7, April, 2019

There are a lot of things going on this month:  I have decided that the novel I am working on is really a novella. It has been a true pleasure to work on this book and as an intellectual as well as heart-felt exercise it has taught me many lessons about myself and the world.   It’s funny how you as a fiction writer end up learning so much from your characters.   Writing this book, my characters surprised me many times.   Times that I thought hope was lost, and they come through.   The resilience of the human spirit in the face of adversity.   A pretty amazing experience.

This book, entitled, “Under Old Glory: A Novella of War, Love, and Faith,” will reflect much of the research I have been doing lately on World War I, and the Latter Day Saints’ involvement in it.   It seems odd to have a war book also be a spiritual book, but even in my first novel, there were elements of the spiritual in it.  It just seems that now the spiritual questions come more easily to the surface with the character of Hyrum Fratelli.  He, even more than Mack McInnis in the novel, is a highly sensitive, introspective character, given to meditations about life, spirituality, and God.   This novella is certainly not for everyone, but if you are curious about war and its effects on the spirit, it may be a good read for you.

 

As always,

 

Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #61; A New Post in the Association of Mormon Letters written by Chris McClelland; "A Call for moral adult LDS fiction"

Blog #93; the Award-Winning Short Story in the Most Recent VA Creative Writing Contest