Blog 11, June 16, 2019 Historical Novels vs. Contemporary Novels

One of my favorite authors is EL Doctorow, a writer I actually got to meet in the early 90s.   He was a kind and gracious man, and a heck of a writer.  He made me feel like I was experiencing things in other time periods, yet his stories had such a contemporary feel that he is often classified as a “Revisionist” writer of history.   I don’t buy that based on the novels of his I’ve read.  If he’s “revisionist” it’s his own vision of things, not trying to define the past in reaction to it.

Well, my church book club is going to be discussing my novel, IN LOVE AND WAR next week, and I am really curious to hear their reactions.   This fact has also shown a slight bump in sales, which is nice.   But the main thing is to answer questions about the book, the characters, etc.   I have never done this before so I am looking forward to it.

Since I did a giveaway earlier in the month for the novella, I’ve been moving more of those too!  I do like it when people like or comment on my blogs and I am curious what you think of this one.   Some people have already told me about their reading the novella UNDER OLD GLORY and the comments are very positive, but the readers were all left wanting more.   If that’s the case as time goes on, perhaps I’ll consider writing a sequel.

Happy Reading!

Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #61; A New Post in the Association of Mormon Letters written by Chris McClelland; "A Call for moral adult LDS fiction"

Blog #93; the Award-Winning Short Story in the Most Recent VA Creative Writing Contest