Blog #99; In Memorium, Michael Curtis, fiction editor of the Atlantic

 The other day I did something I rarely do anymore. I googled an editor-friend from back in my active

days in the academic/literary publishing world. I had tried to get in touch with him a couple of times,

but he seemed incommunicado. Well, I found out that Michael Curtis passed away this January. He,

especially in the early days of a correspondence that lasted almost thirty years, taught me much about

writing stories, and about writing as a craft to incrementally master. For that I will always be grateful.

He first started writing me back in 1992, and I saved every one of the dozens of rejection letters he sent

back. At first, it was just a sentence or two, just suggestions. As time went on the sentences grew to

paragraphs, and Mike exhibited a warmth, and a solid encouragement, and for that I will always be

grateful, too. I got to meet him twice during this time of correspondence; once at Rollins College in

Winter Park, Florida, where he was giving a talk to the writing students set up by our mutual friend, Phil

Deaver. The other time was in Columbus, Ohio, at a workshop. He was understanding about my

emotional awkwardness in those early stories, and taught me to fashion the discomfort into

vulnerability and compassion.

When I moved out West to be with my wife Erin in Utah, we started up a literary magazine. Of course,

the first person I thought of when considering who to interview was Mike. The back and forth turned

out to be very fruitful, and as a result, a new vision of how to approach fiction writing opened up to me

as a writer. Mike was gracious, as always, giving gems of advice freely as the interview went on. A few

years ago, he stepped down from The Atlantic, and, of course, that ended an amazing apprenticeship

with him, as the incoming fiction staff had different plans for the magazine. I miss his notes, towards

the end hand-written and warm and personal. It was an honor to have worked with him, and to have

learned by his hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #61; A New Post in the Association of Mormon Letters written by Chris McClelland; "A Call for moral adult LDS fiction"

Blog #93; the Award-Winning Short Story in the Most Recent VA Creative Writing Contest