Blog #2, December, 2018

The writing of the World War I novel continues apace, and I continue to work on shorter projects as well.  Christmas this year promises to be a good one, with plenty of books to be read, especially history books related to American history and WW I.   I am still studying WHISPERS IN THE WIND, the gripping story of the “Lost Battalion” of the 77th Division from New York.   One of the characters in my book finds himself in the lost battalion and will fight hard to survive.   With the writing, I discover how the story turns out.   I’ve found that the more pre-planned fiction is, the more stilted and overthought it becomes.   I find it’s better to let the story flow naturally, from the characters’ inner natures.  I have studied many writers over the years, and have studied with some of them at conferences and workshops, and have found this to be the most successful approach to creating a historical novel that is as engaging as it is realistic.

The books I am reading right now include a suggestion by my brother Dennis, The River of Doubt, about Theodore Roosevelt’s ill-fated expedition into the Amazon River after his failed re-election bid of 1912.  I am also reading Founding Brothers, a book about the founding of the United States, with character sketches of each of the key founding fathers.  I am reading this at the recommendation of my reading group.  I am now at the beginning of this one, which explains the structure of our government and how it came to be through the Constitutional Convention.   As I dig deeper into this text, I look forward to the treasures that await.  The final book is another for research on the WW I novel, another lost battalion one, this one focusing on the battalion’s commander, Maj. Charles Whittlesley, among others, called No Finer Company.  I’ll be doing research from this source after Christmas.

For those of you in colder climates, keep warm and for all have yourself a happy holiday, merry and bright!  I’ll be in touch with you in the New Year.

 

Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #61; A New Post in the Association of Mormon Letters written by Chris McClelland; "A Call for moral adult LDS fiction"

Blog #93; the Award-Winning Short Story in the Most Recent VA Creative Writing Contest